top of page

Permits and Regulations

Federal Regulations

A Federal Fish and Wildlife permit is required to sell, trade, give away or otherwise dispose of any migratory waterfowl that are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. This permit is not required to only possess these birds. This permit is not required to trade, sell, give away or otherwise dispose of any birds that are not listed on the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. For more information about this permit please visit

Below is a list of all ducks, geese and swans that are covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act ,this list can also be found on the US Fish and Wildlife website at

Family ANATIDAE (Swans, Geese, and Ducks)

Dendrocygna bicolor, Fulvous Whistling-Duck

autumnalis, Black-bellied Whistling-Duck

arborea, West Indian Whistling-Duck

Cygnus columbianus, Tundra Swan

cygnus, Whooper Swan

buccinator, Trumpeter Swan

Anser fabalis, Bean Goose

albifrons, Greater White-fronted Goose

Chen caerulescens, Snow Goose

rossii, Ross' Goose

canagica, Emperor Goose

Branta bernicla, Brant

leucopsis, Barnacle Goose

canadensis, Canada Goose

(=Nesochen) sandvicensis, Hawaiian Goose

Aix sponsa, Wood Duck

Anas crecca, Green-winged Teal

formosa, Baikal Teal

falcata, Falcated Teal

rubripes, American Black Duck

fulvigula, Mottled Duck

platyrhynchos, Mallard

wyvilliana, Hawaiian Duck

laysanensis, Laysan Duck

bahamensis, White-cheeked Pintail

acuta, Northern Pintail

querquedula, Garganey

discors, Blue-winged Teal

cyanoptera, Cinnamon Teal

clypeata, Northern Shoveler

strepera, Gadwall

penelope, Eurasian Wigeon

americana, American Wigeon

Aythya ferina, Common Pochard

valisneria, Canvasback

americana, Redhead

baeri, Baer's Pochard

collaris, Ring-necked Duck

fuligula, Tufted Duck

marila, Greater Scaup

affinis, Lesser Scaup

Somateria mollissima, Common Eider

spectabilis, King Eider

fischeri, Spectacled Eider

Polysticta stelleri, Steller's Eider

Histrionicus histrionicus, Harlequin Duck

Clangula hyemalis, Oldsquaw

Melanitta nigra, Black Scoter

perspicillata, Surf Scoter

fusca, White-winged Scoter

Bucephala clangula, Common Goldeneye

islandica, Barrow's Goldeneye

albeola, Bufflehead

Mergellus albellus, Smew

Lophodytes cucullatus, Hooded Merganser

Mergus merganser, Common Merganser

serrator, Red-breasted Merganser

Oxyura jamaicensis, Ruddy Duck

dominica, Masked Duck

When purchasing any ducks, swans or geese from the above list the seller should provide you with a 3-186 form pictured below.

This will be your proof that your birds were obtained from a permit holder and not taken from the wild.

Ducks, Swans, and geese not on the list above will not receive a 3-186 form. Only birds on the above Migratory Bird Treaty Act are regulated by the US Fish and Wildlife Services.

State Regulations

Each state has it's own regulations for owning wild animals, waterfowl included. You will need to contact your states wildlife resource department to find out what your state requires. Some states require an additional state permit. Some states will only require that you follow the federal regulations. Be patience but persistent when dealing with your states authorities, these officials deal primarily with hunting, fishing and other sportsman issues. They may not be familiar with the state regulations for owning wild waterfowl. In the worst case you may be told by someone who is misinformed or just unwilling to look up the requirements, that owning such birds is illegal in your state. If this should happen to you I would recommend calling offices in different counties or regions of your state until you eventually find someone willing to help you. At the time of this writing it is possible to legally own wild waterfowl in all states. An exception would be if you live in an area where owning animals is prohibited example a large city or a sub division.

It is also note worthy to mention here that a state can only require that you follow federal regulations, they can not change the federal regulations. They cannot add or take away species from the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. For example the state should not require you to obtain a federal permit to sell mandarins since they are not covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act

USDA Regulations

USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) regulations

The USDA has rules that regulate the movement of almost all animals across statelines. In most cases general health papers and some kind of testing for infectious disease is required to legally take an animal from one state to another. Examples of this are often seen at large auctions and shows, where you must have your paperwork in order to sell your animals or to compete. If the auction/show you are attending is in your state your requirements are normally less restrictive than if you are traveling out of your state. Requirements will vary from state to state. To find out requirments for bringing out of state animals into your state please visit the USDA web site link provided below.

In most states if the seller is a member of the NPIP (national poultry improvement plan) this will meet the legal requirements for obtaining birds from out of state. NPIP members annually have their flocks tested for infectious diseases.  

If the seller is not an NPIP member or if NPIP doesn't meet your states requirements you can still legally obtain the birds by having your states required testing done before the birds enter the state.

Mallard Lane Farms is a member if the NPIP program

We are also certified AI clean.

General Health Certificates are available for a fee of $95.00 this can cover 1-50 birds.

For pricing on specific testing please inquire

Knowing and complying with your states regulations for importing birds is solely the responsibility of the buyer.

The buyer must ask for testing and or health certificate if they are needed.

Refunds will not be given if a customer is unable to receive

their birds due to not knowing and or complying with their

states regulations.




Recent Videos

bottom of page